Tuesday, January 11, 2011
1:47 AM | Edit Post
I dare you.
Ask your preschoolers how old you are. Then, ask them how old grandma and grandpa are.
The answers you get will probably be quite amusing!
I remember when I was about three years old, asking my mother what life was like back when there was no color in the world. She gave me a perplexed look…and then, the light went on.
I had recently seen a old black-and-white movie on television. After we had discussed why there was no color in the movie, I had come to the ridiculous conclusion that the entire world was colorless when my mother was a child–and that God had only recently decided to paint our planet!
I’m sure you can tell similar stories about your own childhood–young children tend to have a warped perspective when it comes to time.
So how do we change that? How do we teach history in a way that will at all make sense?
It all depends on where you start.
- I'm a Stay-at-Home, Christian, "crunchy" mama. I have been blessed with the calling to be a godly wife and mother. I am passionate about bringing up my children in the discipline and instruction of the LORD, through home education and discipleship. Helpmeet to my best friend and soulmate, Christopher since 1/29/2000, and mama to four little blessings, including a tiny, precious, newborn baby girl.
Most Popular Posts
- "Being Equipped" and the Will of God
- "Doing School"
- A Little Bit of Spontaneity
- Am I Really Content?
- Coming Out of the Closet
- Desperate for Discipleship
- Don't Be Afraid, Have Faith
- How Doing Something "Good" Can Keep You From Obeying
- Is it Really All About Me?
- Over-Protected, Under-Sheltered
- Remembering Acacia's Birth
- Slow Homeschooling
- The Most Important Thing
- What Do You Mean, "Unsocialized?"
- What Does "Enough" Look Like?
Fixing Your Heart on Titus 2
Did you pray for your
- ▼ 2011 (15)
- ► 2010 (67)
Our Curriculum 2010-2011
Bible--Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos, Apologia Biblical World View Book 1, "Who is God and Can I Really Know Him?"
Catechism-- "Training Hearts, Teaching Minds" by Starr Meade
Phonics--Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Literature--Ambleside Online Year 0 Recommended Books
(Kindergarten), Year 1 Booklist (1st Grade)
Handwriting--Bible Copywork, made using Educational Fontware
Spelling-- All About Spelling Level 1 (1st grade)
Science--Apologia Exploring Creation With Astronomy
World History--Simply Charlotte Mason's Genesis Through Deuteronomy and Ancient Egypt
American History--The Light and The Glory For Children Series
Art--Interest-led projects and handicrafts
Geography and Missions-- "Hero Tales" by Dave and Neta Jackson, as well as various other missionary biographies, incorporating globe and map study
*We will be studying music and phy-ed., participating in a writing club and nature club, as well as attending various field trips, with our church's homeschool group.*