Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful for the Responsibility

Yesterday, I overheard a mom say,


"I don't know how I'm going to survive the next few days!"


I was confused at first, but as the conversation continued, I finally understood her point:

Her kids were going to be home from school for five whole days, and they were already driving her crazy. She was counting the days until school started again.


How sad.


Yes, I said it. Sad.


Now, anyone who knows me knows that I am nowhere close to a perfect parent. My kids drive me crazy on a regular basis, too. And yes, I do lose my cool, lose my victory, lose my patience, and yell at my kids. It is a constant, ongoing battle against sin in my heart, and in the hearts of my little blessings.


But, here's the thing...it's worth the effort!

The responsibility to bring up children who will love, honor, and serve the Lord Jesus Christ with all their hearts is a weighty one, and it has moved me to tears and dropped me to my knees on more than one occasion....


...but I'm thankful for the responsibility...


                             ....and it's my responsibility, whether I like it or not!



These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 NASB



Sending my children off to government schools isn't going to change that responsibility, nor help me to fulfill it. All it might do is give me a temporary "break" from the presence of my children, allowing me to shirk my responsibility and serve myself.

Worded differently, it gives me an excuse to delay my obedience and someone else to blame for my children's poor habits and bad attitudes.


So, thank-you LORD.


Thank-you for the responsibility.

Thank-you for the privilege of being Christopher's wife, and Asher, Acacia, and Micah's mother.

Thank-you for the opportunity and the freedom to educate our children at home, in accordance with our faith and values.

Thank-you for the blessing of being able to study the Scriptures, attend church, and fellowship openly with other believers.

Thank-you for this home that you have given me to keep, care for, and serve my family in. Thank-you for teaching me and refining me in the daily, mundane things of life.

Thank-you for making it clear to me that I can do none of this on my own, and that I am woefully inept, totally inadequate, and completely lost without the saving power of your Son Jesus Christ through His death and resurrection.

I'm still learning this stuff every day. I have no where near "arrived" at the picture of ideal motherhood, but I am so blessed by the road I have been given to walk.

I have so much to be thankful for.


Happy Thanksgiving!!

2 comments:

kariwhite said...

And thank you, Tiana, for helping to teach other women! Your quiet example and your not-so-quiet writings are a valuable missionary. :)

Tereza Crump said...

Just yesterday I finally realized that I have been doing this motherhood thing on my own. I finally gave it to Jesus. Just like He took all my sins on the cross and has given me victory over sin, sickness, lack and death, He has promised to help me and be there for me. Why is it that we insist in doing things on our terms and on our own? So, I am resting in Him. I suck at motherhood. I keep striving, I won't give up, I love my children and I want them by my side. yes, they can push all my buttons sometimes, but what children don't do that to their parents. Father God does not send us away because we fall short. He instead picks us up, dusts us off, kisses our booboos and loves on us. Oh, Jesus, help me do the same to my children every day and in every situation. Grace, grace, and more of your amazing Grace I want. :)

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow On Twitter

About Me

My photo
I'm a Stay-at-Home, Christian, "crunchy" mama. I have been blessed with the calling to be a godly wife and mother. I am passionate about bringing up my children in the discipline and instruction of the LORD, through home education and discipleship. Helpmeet to my best friend and soulmate, Christopher since 1/29/2000, and mama to four little blessings, including a tiny, precious, newborn baby girl.

My Writing Elsewhere...

Fixing Your Heart on Titus 2

Did you pray for your
husband today?
Monday--His Work
Tuesday--His Integrity
Wednesday--His Mind
Thursday--His Purpose
Friday--His Health
Saturday--His Protection
Sunday--His Faith

Carnival of Homeschooling

Carnival of Homeschooling
Features God Made, Home Grown

Charlotte Mason Blog Carnival

2009 Nominee!

2010 Nominee!

My Wired Style

My Wired Style
Success is not learned. It is discovered and nurtured. What was your child born to do?
Thank goodness I was never sent to school...Beatrix Potter quote at DailyLearners.com
Education is not the filling of a bucket, but the lighting of a fire. W.B. Yeats quote at DailyLearners.com

Our Curriculum 2010-2011

Bible--Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos, Apologia Biblical World View Book 1, "Who is God and Can I Really Know Him?"
Catechism-- "Training Hearts, Teaching Minds" by Starr Meade
Phonics--Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
(Kindergarten), Year 1 Booklist (1st Grade)
Handwriting--Bible Copywork, made using Educational Fontware
Spelling-- All About Spelling Level 1 (1st grade)
Math--Math-U-See Primer (Kindergarten) , Math-U-See Alpha (1st grade)
World History--Simply Charlotte Mason's Genesis Through Deuteronomy and Ancient Egypt
American History--The Light and The Glory For Children Series
Art--Interest-led projects and handicrafts
Geography and Missions-- "Hero Tales" by Dave and Neta Jackson, as well as various other missionary biographies, incorporating globe and map study
*We will be studying music and phy-ed., participating in a writing club and nature club, as well as attending various field trips, with our church's homeschool group.*

Disciple Like Jesus

Disciple Like Jesus

Raising Homemakers

Raising Homemakers

Quiverfull Family

The Modest Mom

Followers

Follow Me On Facebook

Related Posts with Thumbnails